Hello! It’s been a while since I’ve shared some yarn peg colour inspiration and so, with my best friends baby due next month, I thought I’d share with you some baby colour scheme ideas using Stylecraft Yarn‘s Special DK collection. I love playing with different colours and it was great fun to sit in the garden last week and put together different combinations to share with you. I’d also like to think my photos have improved since last time!
Baby colour scheme ideas using Stylecraft Yarn’s Special DK collection
Before I get started I should mention that I know there’s a lot of conversation about colour preferences for babies; some like gender neutral and hate stereotypes like girls in pink, some don’t like dark colours on babies, as two examples. I’m sure there are lots more. With that in mind, I’ve gone for some gender specific ideas, gender neutral ideas, brights and a little darker tones too. I hope there’s something for everyone and, let’s face it, that’s the joy of the Stylecraft Special DK range – there’s something for everyone!
1. Duck Egg, Storm Blue, Sherbet, Cloud Blue and Silver. Kicking off this post with a baby boy inspired colour scheme, thinking of my friend in mind as she’s expecting a boy. I’d avoided going for anything too bright here and instead focused on softer colours with the Storm Blue shade bringing it all together. Grey’s also work well with blue so I added in Silver, plus the Duck Egg shade has a blue/grey feel to it.
2. Parma Violet, Soft Peach, Candyfloss, Apricot and Cream. By complete contrast to the first idea, here’s a collection of colours with a baby girl in mind. I’ve again opted for soft colours, which are always popular for a baby, and I’ve added in a contrast in the Parma Violet shade. Looking back I’m not convinced it’s entirely worked and the Candyfloss and Soft Peach shades are the standout colours for me.
3. Grass Green, Citron, Shrimp, Sunshine and Cloud Blue. How about this for gender neutral? I love this collection and how bright it is. I feels like a safari or beach type collection of colours and I love how the colours work together. You’ve got Citron and Sunshine for the summer feeling, Grass Green for a grassy, woodland vibe and Cloud Blue and Shrimp for the seaside. I’m not sure it’d work for a winter baby, but for this time of year it’s an absolute winner and my favourite of the 5 ideas in this post.
4. Parchment, Soft Peach, Cream, Duck Egg and Stone. I love this collection and feel like it’s a good middle ground between neutral and gender specific – with the inclusion of the Duck Egg and Soft Peach shades. The natural tones of these shades, with Stone and Parchment, feels cosy and suited to a newborn baby and there’s a vibe of the classic neapolitan ice cream about it. Certainly one of the softer collections in this post, this could be used for a baby gift all year round.
5. Mustard, Lobelia, Fondant, Teal and Empire. I’d say this feels like a more ‘grown up’ baby colour scheme. The colours are quite rich, as well as having a couple of bright tones in the Mustard and Fondant shades, but they’re balanced well with the other colours. The reason I like this collection of colours for a baby is because it feels warm, the warmth of the Lobelia and Teal especially stood out and this makes for a great gender neutral colour scheme. Plus, babies aside I want this is my home!
What do you think? Any standout colour schemes that catch your eye?
I should also mention that I chose Stylecraft Special DK (again) for this post because a) I love their range of colours but b) the yarn washes up really well, which is just what you need for a baby! In terms of where to buy it, there are lots of online and bricks and mortar shops that stock it though I tend to buy from Wool Warehouse as it’s affordable and their delivery is pretty quick!
If you fancy catching up on previous Stylecraft colour scheme posts, here are a couple of links you might like:
- Colour scheme ideas for Stylecraft Yarn’s Special DK collection (part 1)
- Colour scheme ideas for Stylecraft Yarn’s Special DK collection (part 2)
- Colour scheme ideas for Stylecraft Yarn’s Special DK collection ‘Tomato’ shade
Thanks for reading, and do let me know if you have a favourite.